DMR 1st Run

DMR 1st Run
July 12 Harford Springs Reserve Park Gavilan Hills

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Music? Yeah I Got That


First a confession: I am addicted to my iPod when running or cycling. Leaving my little shuffle at home is almost like forgetting my shoes. But what are the rules for listening to music when you’re exercising? Is it rude to be jamming to your tunes while you’re running with a group of friends? What about on the trails when you’re supposed to be enjoying the sounds of nature? What about those nighttime solo runs when being distracted by music may not be safe? Races? Although I am not the Miss Manners of what to do or not to do while running, I am willing to take a shot.

Races will often have rules about running with headphones on so it is always a good idea to check in advance. I have never seen a race outright ban headphones, but it is always a good idea to leave one ear bud out so you can hear the officials. Besides, if you have your trusty noise canceling headphones in your ears, you’ll miss out on cheering crowds and talking to other runners. I try not to be too dependent on music; what happens if my battery dies or my shuffle locks up?

With training runs, headphones are optional but I often find that I need the distraction of music especially on long solo runs. When running solo, I only use one headphone. You need to be able to hear approaching cars, cyclists and other potential hazards BECAUSE YOU COULD DIE DIE DIE!!!! Ok just kidding about that, but when I try to pass you on my bike screaming “ON YOUR LEFT” and you don’t hear me…! When I train with friends, I leave the iPod at home or tucked away somewhere in my fuel belt because the miles pass more quickly when you are chatting away about important stuff. Here’s a thought: sometimes a faster or slower song can impact your cadence and therefore overall running speed! So maybe that pokey run last week wasn’t my fault…hmmm?

With smart phones getting more and more…ummm…smart, there is a wealth of apps that can provide you with some new tunes when your iPod playlist starts to feel stale. Pandora is one of my favorites, but I was reading a New York Times article that mentions a few apps that can provide playlists that match what you are doing on your run. Using your phone’s motion sensors, some of these apps can figure out how fast you are going and provide you with tunes that match your average cadence! RockMyRun and PaceDJ are a few of the apps out there. More information on these apps can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/01/technology/personaltech/while-on-a-run-apps-to-match-the-playlist-to-your-pace.html?_r=0.

Yesterday I was trail running (one headphone in) and another runner approached me blaring his music over his phone’s speakers. I find that as distracting and as tasteful as someone singing in a library. So just remember: be aware of your surroundings by using only one headphone, make sure you are enjoying and interacting with your running buddies and PLEASE don’t torture innocent people with your tunes. Lastly, consider just turning the music off every once and a while. Listen to your heart, feet hitting the pavement, enjoy the singing of birds and be glad of the chance to get lost in your thoughts and the quiet that we so rarely get these days.

Comments make me happy, so tell me what your favorite running songs are. Also, if you like/hate running with music and why.

Writing this with both ear buds in because the coffee shop is a noisy place,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment