DMR 1st Run

DMR 1st Run
July 12 Harford Springs Reserve Park Gavilan Hills

Monday, May 5, 2014

Trail Running: Let’s Get DIRTY

With the start of the Dirty Mother Runners trail series looming ahead like the dog days of summer, it is time to think about how trail running differs from your average road run. Trail running, for me at least, is very rewarding and relaxing. Honestly, I would rather worry about a snake coming down the road than a car speeding past me any day. But if you are used to running on the roads, the trails are going to be an enjoyable learning experience.

1.       Shoes

Trail shoes are not necessary but very helpful. Unlike road shoes, trail shoes are designed to protect your toes from the hazards of rocks and give you more stability underfoot on uneven terrain. Trail shoes tend to be more “grippy” so you’ll have more confidence running up and down dirt hills…which brings us to…
2.       Hills!
We live in a great area for trail running but gosh, is anything flat out here? The best way to conquer a hill going up is to lean into the hill and shorten your stride taking quick steps. Going down, I was taught to skip sideways. Remember the more hills you run, the better you’ll get at them.
3.       Hydration
Bringing water in some sort of a belt or backpack is a must when running in Southern California but more so on trails because there is little shade and no friendly garden hoses for a quick drink. There are many options on the market so find something that will work for you. I personally use the same hydration belt that I use for road running. Figure at least 12 -20 oz. of water for every hour spent running.
4.       Clothes
I overheard someone saying that you can always spot a trail runner in a group of road runners. The trail runners look homeless. That being said, you’re going to get dirty on the trail so don’t bring your brand new running skirt and expect it to stay clean. Solomon offers a line of clothes designed for trail running but I just bring out my old stuff. If I fall down, or something gets snagged and torn on a branch I won’t be too upset.
5.       Safety
I am an idiot, I enjoy the quiet of the trails and being lost inside my own head, so I often trail run by myself. Not a good idea and I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone. Make sure you bring a friend (even if they are faster or slower, then you at least know someone is there) or tell a friend where you are running and when you expect to be done. Carry pepper spray and your phone, but don’t rely on your phone because coverage can get spotty. Expect to get lost if you are in an unfamiliar area so plan accordingly. Sometimes it is helpful to study maps online or talk to other runners who have been there run that. One headphone in one ear or none at all. Be aware of your surroundings. All common sense stuff but when you are having fun, common sense (at least in my case) is the first to go.
6.       Respect the area, pack it in and pack it out
Another no brainer, but leave no trace. Keep the trails nice for this girl and future kiddos.
Box Springs Mountain Park, Riverside CA
There are tons of places to trail run in Riverside. Some of my favorite places are: Sycamore Canyon, March Air Force Base Bunker Trail, Two Trees and the Gage Canal (not really a trail but it is dirt). With the Dirty Mother Trail series coming up you’ll have an opportunity to discover more places to run with your MRTT friends. See our Facebook page for more information on the Trail series.
Got something to add? Don’t agree with something I said? Add to the conversation by leaving a comment, just play nice.
See you on the trail,
Cheryl
 

No comments:

Post a Comment